Netgear’s Orbi Whole Mesh WiFi is a top-notch line of tech products. Even though many customers say these devices are expensive, their users say they are worth the money. The problem starts when a user notices that the Orbi device, either the router or one of its satellites, is orbi flashing white light.
In this state, the device can’t connect to the internet and can’t be used. The problem has been seen in almost all of the Orbi family. Many users said the problem started after updating Orbi’s firmware or resetting it to factory settings. In some cases, the orbi Blinking white light after the Orbi device suddenly lost power.
The white light on the Orbi is flashing because either the device’s firmware has a bug or the firmware has become corrupt.
Start the Orbi Router and Satellites
The orbi satellite flashing white device might be caused by a temporary bug in its firmware. A cold restart of the Orbi router and satellites might fix the problem. But before you move on, ensure the Orbi device is plugged into the right power source. If the problem is only with one satellite, use the power supply of a working satellite to see if that fixes the problem.
The Orbi router and satellites should be turned off. Make sure to turn off any other modems or routers you use.
- Now, unplug all the devices from their power sources and leave them like this overnight.
- Then plug everything back in and turn the router back on.
- Then stop holding down the Reset button and let the router sit like this for an hour (preferably, all day).
- After that, turn on other devices and make sure the Orbi device is still working.
Reset Orbi To Factory Settings & Update Orbi Firmware Manually
If the Orbi device’s firmware got messed up during an upgrade or when you tried to reset orbi to factory settings before, you might see the orbi blinking white. In this case, you might be able to fix the problem by putting the Orbi device back to its factory settings.
Bring the Orbi router close to your modem or laptop.
- Turn off the router and all of the satellites.
- Then unplug the Orbi router’s ethernet cable and turn it on.
- Now, wait 5 minutes, and then hold down the router’s reset button for at least a minute.
- Then keep holding the reset button until the router’s lights start blinking amber.
- Take your finger off the reset button and wait at least 5 minutes.
- During those 5 minutes, set the satellites back to how they were made.
- Once the 5 minutes are up, connect the Ethernet cable from the host network to the WAN port on the Orbi router.
- Now, open a web browser on the laptop and go to the Orbilogin router’s web portal.
- Then, follow the steps to set up the devices according to your needs, and if asked, stop the firmware upgrade. In the Firmware Update tab, you may need to stop the Firmware upgrade.
- Get the most recent Orbi firmware Update from Netgear website and unzip it on the system’s desktop.
- Now look on your desktop for the update and click Upgrade.
- Then, wait until the upgrade is done and see if the problem with the Orbi white light blinking is fixed. You might have to press the Sync button on the Satellites to get them back in sync with the router.
Orbi Firmware Needs To Be Reinstalled
If none of those things worked, the device’s Orbi flashing white light could be because the firmware is broken. This damage could have been caused by a sudden loss of power or by only partially installing the latest firmware. In this case, the problem might be fixed by reinstalling the firmware on the Orbilogin.com device.
If none of these solutions worked, check the hardware of the Orbi device or, if it’s still under warranty, get a new one. If that isn’t an option or you want to try to fix the “dead” router, some advanced users may use the U Boot to boot the main board of the router (you may need a serial connection) and then flash the firmware.